Intermediate Mountaineering Weekend – Pollux (4092m) and Breithorn (4164m)
You’ve already been introduced to mountaineering and would like to improve your skills with more technical climbs? This is a 2-day mountaineering event with the ascension of two 4000s at the border between Switzerland and Italy: Pollux at 4092m and Breithorn at 4164m above sea level. You will spend the night in a charming Italian mountain hut, Rifugio Guide d’Ayas, at 3425m.
This trip is led by Guy-Robert May, International Mountain Guide. If more than 2 participants, there will be another International Mountain Guide as each guide cannot take more than 2 persons.
What’s the plan?
We will meet in Zermatt at 09:15. Guy-Robert will meet you at the train station and together you will take the cable car up to Klein Matterhorn. From there, climb to the summit of Pollux at 4092m above sea level. Descent on the Italian side to Rifugio Guide d’Ayas. Dinner and night at the hut.
Breakfast at the hut, then crossing of the famous Breithorn before going back to Zermatt.
To join this event, you have done an introduction to mountaineering before (for example Allalinhorn or Bishorn) and know how to use crampons and an ice axe. You are a very fit hiker.
- Ice axe
- Hiking poles
- Head torch
- Crampon compatible mountaineering boots
- Glacier glasses
- Hat or cap
- Fleece jacket
- Duvet jacket
- Goretex jacket
- Waterproof trekking trousers
- Sun cream
- Packed lunch for Saturday and Sunday
- Sleeping bag liner (blankets provided)
- Cash for drinks at the hut
- Face mask and hand sanitiser
How to get there?
If you are traveling from Zurich by public transport, we recommend you to take the following transportation.
- 06:02 Zurich HB – 09:14 Zermatt (via Visp)
- Sunday: 15:37 Zermatt – 18:58 Zurich HB (via Visp) – depending on what time we return to Zermatt
The price for the event is CHF 1000. The higher price is due to the technical difficulty of this tour and the fact each guide is only allowed to take up to 2 participants.
What does the price include?
- 2 days of mountaineering with an International Mountain Guide
- 1 night of accommodation at Rifugio Guide d’Ayas
- Dinner on Saturday
- Breakfast on Sunday
What does the price NOT include?
- Transport to and from Zermatt
- Cable car to Klein Matterhorn (return trip)
- Packed lunches
Minimum number of participants: 2
Maximum number of participants: 6
Once registered, please pay a 50% deposit within 7 days. The balance is due one month before the event start.
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.