Introduction to Mountaineering – Bishorn 4153m
This is a 2-day introduction to mountaineering in the canton of Valais. We will be hiking up to Tracuit Hut SAC and stay one night there.
The hut lies at a height of 3’256m above sea level, at the Tracuit Pass, between Les Diablons and the Tête de Milon in the Pennine Alps.
If you are a fit hiker and would like to try mountaineering and go up to 4000m+, this is for you!
This trip is led by Guy-Robert May, international mountain guide.
What’s the plan?
We meet in Zinal in the morning, hike up to Tracuit Hut SAC and do some briefing and exercises for day 2. Night at the hut.
Breakfast at the hut, ascent of the Bishorn (4153m), return to the hut for lunch and descent to Zinal.
Ascent: 900m Descent: 2500m
To join this event, you need to be a very fit hiker. No previous mountaineering experience needed.
It is the participant’s responsibility to get health and accident insurances that cover mountain rescue, including extreme sports. Becoming a Rega patron is highly recommended (CHF 40 per year only for emergency medical assistance from the air).
How to get there
If you are traveling from Zurich by public transport, we recommend you to take the following:
- Saturday: Zurich HB 07:02 – 11:03 Zinal centre (via Visp, Sierre and Vissoie)
- Sunday: Zinal 15:38 – 19:28 Zurich HB (via Vissoie, Sierre, Visp and Bern) – depending on the time the event finishes
Day Clothing Essentials
- Crampon compatible mountaineering boots
- Base layers
- Hiking trousers
- Down jacket
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof over trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun glasses
- Warm hat
- Thin gloves
- Thick gloves
- Sleeping bag liner
- Pillow case
- Ear plugs
- Hiking poles
- Hiking backpack (20-30L)
- Waterproof backpack cover or waterproof inner bags or bin bags
- Climbing harness
- Headlamp with spare batteries
- Water (min. 2L)
- Thermal bottle for tea
- Packed lunches
- Sun screen and lip protector
- Plasters and basic medicine
- Air rescue membership card (e.g. Rega, Air Glaciers)
The price for this event is CHF 540.
Included in price
- 2 days of guided hiking/mountaineering with an international mountain guide
- 1 night of accommodation at Tracuit Hut SAC (dorm)
- Dinner on Saturday
- Breakfast and march tea on Sunday
Not included in price
- Transport to and from Zinal
- Packed lunches
- Drinks and snacks
Min. 4 / Max. 6 participants
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.