Guided snowshoeing weekend in Safiental
Join us for a wonderful snowshoeing weekend in the wild and untouched Safien valley, part of the Natural Park Beverin in Graubünden. The Safien valley begins at the famous and gorgeous Ruinaulta canyon (Rheinschlucht), and takes you into a fairytale landscape. No wonder why Walser people stayed there!
This trip is led by Celine Kahn, mountain leader.
What’s the plan?
Saturday – Camana Hütta
We meet at Safien, Abzw. Camana at 11:10 to start our 2-day snowshoe tour in the beautiful Safien valley. On this first day we start with a climb through the forest followed by an open area, all the way to Camana Hütta. We hike down on the other side and catch a bus to Turrahus, at the end of the valley. Dinner and night at the charming guest house Turrahus.
Technical info: 6km – 650m ascent – 650m descent
Sunday – Strätscherhorn 2555m
After an energising breakfast, we get ready for this second exciting day with a longer hike in the Safien valley. The loop to Strätscherhorn is really wild and stunning, and the views of the valley and the surrounding peaks from the summit are breathtaking! Return to the guest house in the afternoon for everyone to catch their bus back home.
Technical info: 12km – 900m ascent – 900m descent
To join this event, you need to be a fit hiker. No previous snowshoeing experience is needed.
It is the participant’s responsibility to get health and accident insurances that cover mountain rescue, including extreme sports. Becoming a Rega patron is highly recommended (CHF 40 per year only for emergency medical assistance from the air).
How to get there
If you are traveling from Zurich by public transport, we recommend you to take the following:
- Saturday: Zurich HB 08:38 – 11:10 Safien, Abzw. Camana (via Chur and Versam-Safien)
- Sunday: Thalkirch, Turrahus 15:29 – 18:22 Zurich HB (via Versam-Safien and Chur) – depending on the time the event finishes
Day Clothing Essentials
- Winter hiking boots
- Base layers
- Hiking or skiing trousers
- Down jacket
- Waterproof jacket
- Sun hat
- Warm hat
- Thin gloves
- Thick gloves
- Sleeping bag liner
- Lightweight towel
- Headlamp with spare batteries
- Ear plugs
- Hiking backpack (30-40L)
- Waterproof backpack cover
- Waterproof inner bags or bin bags
- Snowshoes and poles: can be rented out – see “Equipment rental”
- Avalanche set: transceiver, probe and shovel: can be rented out – see “Equipment rental”
- Thermal bottle for tea
- Packed lunches
- Sunscreen and lip protector
- Plasters and basic medicine
You have the possibility to rent the following equipment, directly from the guide:
- Snowshoes and poles: CHF 30
- Avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe: CHF 50
The price for this event is CHF 300.
Included in price
- 2 days of guided snowshoeing with a mountain leader in a small group
- 1 night of accommodation at Turrahus (shared rooms)
- Dinner on Saturday
- Breakfast on Sunday
Not included in price
- Transport to / from Safiental
- Packed lunches
- Drinks & snacks
- Equipment rental
- Min. 4 participants
- Max. 8 participants
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.