Yoga and Snowshoeing Retreat in Val Müstair (Engadin)
Spend a weekend immersed in the winter wonderland of Val Mustair, with a pair of snowshoes to explore the mountains, your heart full of Yogic peace, your mind free and quiet, your body nourished by delicious healthy food and all in the company of amazing group of people to share the experience.
This trip is led by Giada Rocca, yoga instructor, and Celine Kahn, mountain leader, and is a collaboration between Touring Monkeys and Yogalpina.
What’s the plan?
Join us for this Yoga and Snowshoeing experience in Valchava, a place that stands still in time with its typical Engadin houses, gorgeous mountains and plenty of cozy vibes.
Our home for the weekend is Hotel Central, an authentic mountain hotel built in the 17th century as a farmhouse, and converted into a hotel in 1910. Hotel Central has two saunas, and incredibly charming rooms and is famous for the amazing food that they serve. Most importantly, we will have exclusive use of the beautiful Yoga room, featuring wood-paneled walls and slanted ceilings, which create a truly calming setting for the Yoga practice.
We start the weekend with a meet & greet of the whole group, a short introduction from Giada & Celine, and a meditation and candlelight ceremony on Friday evening followed by an early dinner and restful night. On Saturday and Sunday, we wake up with an energizing morning Vinyasa Yoga practice and welcome the day with sun salutations. After a delicious hearty breakfast, we go for a snowshoe hike through the forests and meadows surrounded by the gorgeous mountains of the valley, embracing the challenge as we immerse ourselves in nature, drinking it in and recharging our batteries. Picnic lunches with amazing panoramas and great company.
Late Saturday afternoon is for restorative yoga practice and to explore the deep relaxation benefits of Yin Yoga asanas & pranayama breathing exercises.
Join us for this rejuvenating journey where adventure meets serenity.
From Lü to Ofenpass
We start with a short bus ride from Valchava to Lü, our starting point of the day. From there we hike up through the forest and meadows, and after a nice picnic with panoramic views, we start our hike back down to Valchava. Snowshoeing down in powder snow is a lot of fun, which for sure makes our inner children come back to life!
8km – 350m ascent – 900m descent – 4h walking
From Fuldera to Valchava
We start with a 5-minute bus ride from Valchava to Fuldera, our starting point of the day. From there we hike up to Alp Sadra, a beautiful hut just above the tree line, which offers wonderful views of the entire Val Müstair. From there we have several options which will depend on the group motivation and fitness, and of course the weather and snow conditions. We can either hike down and go back to Valchava, which is already a lovely day, or we can push a bit more and keep going up to Lai da Chazfora and come down further North. Return to the hotel on Sunday afternoon to pick up the luggage and say goodbye, with the head full of wonderful memories.
11km – 400m ascent – 600m descent – 4.5h walking
Please note that these hikes are subject to change, depending on the weather and snow conditions, as well as the fitness level of the group.
No previous snowshoeing experience is needed to join this event. The hikes require a good fitness but are accessible to all. The yoga sessions will be adapted to all levels.
It is the participant’s responsibility to get health and accident insurances that cover mountain rescue, including extreme sports. Becoming a Rega patron is highly recommended (CHF 40 per year only for emergency medical assistance from the air).
How to get there
If you are traveling from Zurich by public transport, we recommend you take the following:
- Zurich HB 12:38 – 16:06 Valchava, cumün (via Landquart, Sagliains and Zernez)
- Valchava, cumün 15:39 – 19:22 Zurich HB (via Zernez, Sagliains and Landquart) – depending on the time the event finishes
If you are traveling by public transport, please let us know so we can send you the guest card which will enable you to travel for free in the entire valley (between Zernez and Valchava).
If you are traveling by car, you can park your car for free at the hotel.
Day clothing essentials
- Winter hiking boots
- Base layers
- Hiking or skiing trousers
- Down jacket
- Waterproof jacket
- Sun hat
- Warm hat
- Thin gloves
- Thick gloves
- Yoga outfit
- Yoga mat if you prefer to use your own, however yoga mats are available at the hotel
- Hiking backpack (30-40L)
- Waterproof backpack cover
- Waterproof inner bags or bin bags
- Snowshoes and poles: can be rented out – see “Equipment rental”
- Avalanche set: transceiver, probe and shovel: can be rented out – see “Equipment rental”
- Thermal bottle for tea
- Packed lunches for 2 days (you have the possibility to buy packed lunches from the hotel)
- Sunscreen and lip protector
- Plasters and basic medicine
You have the possibility to rent the following equipment, directly from the guide:
- Snowshoes and poles: CHF 30
- Avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe: CHF 50
You will receive an email with a form to fill in a few days before the event, where you can inform us about which items you’d like to rent. These can be paid by cash or Twint on the event day.
The price for this event is CHF 700 in a twin room or CHF 750 in a single room.
Sign up before December 31, 2023, and avail of an Early Bird discount of 5%. Use code: EarlyBird when signing up.
Included in price
- 2 guided snowshoe hikes on Saturday and Sunday, by a certified mountain leader
- 3 yoga lessons (2 morning vinyasa flows and 1 evening restorative class), by a certified yoga teacher
- 1 guided visual meditation and candlelight ceremony
- Basic avalanche training to make sure everyone knows how to use the equipment
- 2 nights of accommodation at Hotel Central Valchava, in twin or single rooms
- Yoga mats and accessories
- Access to sauna
- Val Müstair’s guest card to travel for free in the entire valley from Friday to Sunday
- Dinner on Friday and Saturday
- Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday
Not included in price
- Transport to/from Val Müstair
- Packed lunches
- Drinks & snacks
- Equipment rental
Min. 6 / Max. 10 participants
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.