Guided Via Ferrata Weekend in Lauterbrunnen
Explore the Alps with the exciting sport of via ferrata. Climbing routes can be found throughout the Alps and they offer fantastic views with a physical challenge. The route difficulty is expressed using ratings K1-K5. Climbers are attached to a fixed cable that follows the route using lanyards and carabiners. The cable and other fixtures provide both footings and handholds.
We will be based in the stunning valley of Lauterbrunnen, with its impressive 72 waterfalls, and will experience a different via ferrata each day. Our accommodation is also special as we will be sleeping in safari tents!
This event is led by Tim Dunham, Climbing Instructor.
The group will meet at Lauterbrunnen train station at 19:30. Together we will either take a bus or walk to the 3* campsite Rütti, at the end of the valley, where we will have a barbecue and some beers, and stay in our safari tents.
Saturday: Eiger-Rotstock via ferrata (K2)
On Saturday morning, after our breakfast we will head to Eigergletscher, stopping in Kleine Scheiddegg to rent the equipment. At the beginning of the 20th century, there was a secure path set into the right-hand corner of the Eiger North Face. Tourists used to climb from the former station Rotstock up to the Rotstock (2663 m). The installations on the Rotstock were then abandoned. In 1997 this forgotten path was rediscovered, and Grindelwald mountain guides installed ladders and wire ropes. In a nutshell: Eiger atmosphere, just on a safe path. It takes about 3 hours to complete. After a day of alpine adventures, we’ll come together for dinner and drinks at the Rütti campsite and spend another night in the safari tents.
Sunday: Mürren-Gimmelwald via ferrata (K3)
The following day after breakfast, we will head to Mürren. We can either hike (3 hours) or take the cable car up to the charming village of Mürren. Those who need to rent the via ferrata equipment can do it in Mürren. Then we will start the K3 via ferrata to Gimmelwald, offering us the most beautiful views of the Lauterbrunnen valley, its waterfalls, and the 4000m peaks of the Bernese Oberland. The via ferrata starts at 1800m and from there it leads steeply downwards. It takes about three hours to complete with an elevation loss of 400m. After another full day outside, we will return home by train.
No prior experience is needed. However, participants should be confident in their physical ability, not have a fear of heights and be willing to challenge themselves.
How to get there?
If you are traveling from Zurich by public transport, we recommend you to take the following:
- Zurich HB 17:02 – 19:25 Lauterbrunnen (via Bern and Interlaken)
- Lauterbrunnen – Zurich HB (depending on what time we finish)
- via ferrata equipment: helmet, harness, gloves, and via ferrata set (can be rented out – see “Equipment rental” section)
- Hiking boots
- Hiking trousers or shorts
- Quick-dry t-shirt
- Down jacket
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof over trousers
- Waterproof backpack cover and inner bags to keep your items dry
- Sleeping bag
- Packed lunches
You have the possibility to rent the via ferrata equipment (harness, helmet, and via ferrata set) on both days:
- Saturday: Wyss Sport Kleine Scheidegg – CHF 20
- Sunday: Intersport Stäger Sport Chalet Enzian – CHF 25
The price for this event is CHF 500.
What does the price include?
- 2 days of via ferrata with a certified climbing instructor
- 2 nights of accommodation in a safari tent (2 or 4 beds per tent) in the Lauterbrunnen valley
- Welcome barbecue and beers on Friday evening
- Breakfast on Saturday morning
- Barbecue and beers on Saturday evening
- Breakfast on Sunday morning
What does the price NOT include?
- Transport to Lauterbrunnen on Friday and back on Sunday
- Train from Lauterbrunnen to Eigergletscher on Saturday (return trip CHF 77.60 or CHF 38.80 with 1/2 fare travel card)
- Cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Mürren on Sunday (CHF 11.20 or CHF 5.60 with 1/2 fare travel card)
- Via ferrata equipment
- Packed lunches
Once registered, please pay a 50% deposit within 7 days and the balance by 3 June 2021, one month before the event starts.
Minimum number of participants: 4
Maximum number of participants: 6
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood, and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions in the “What we’re about” section of our Meetup group.
- Mountain Brook 4-day Trekking Experience in Lauterbrunnen Valley
- 15 - 18 Jun 2023
- 10:00 am - 5:00 pm