Guided Snowshoeing Weekend at the foot of the famous Gastlosen
Let’s go snowshoeing and explore the beauty of the famous Gastlosen, also known as the “Saanenland Dolomites”.
This trip is led by one of our Touring Monkeys International Mountain Leader, Ulrick Tainturier.
What’s the plan?
We will meet at the Bulle train station at 10:00 on Saturday. Transfer to Abländschen where we will start the snowshoe hike. The village of Abländschen is situated 1,320 meters above sea level with delightful views of the peaks of the Gastlosen chain, the rugged limestone mountains with their vertical rock walls, some over 300 meters high.
We will spend the night at the Grubenberghütte, a charming small mountain hut with magnificent views of the Bernese Alps. If the conditions are optimal, we will try to hike up some of the peaks surrounding the hut, for example, the Husseg, or even start the hike from Saanenmoser and reach the hut via the stunning Schneitgratt.
On Sunday again, we will choose the itinerary depending on the conditions but the idea is to hike up a peak or walk on the Jaungrund or Schneitgratt if we haven’t done it on the first day. Return to Abländschen in the afternoon and transfer back to Bulle.
- 4 – 6 hours walking/day
- 500m – 750m ascent/day depending on the program and conditions
To join this event, you need to be a fit hiker. No previous snowshoeing experience needed.
- Snowshoes and poles (can be rented out for an additional CHF 20)
- Avalanche transceiver, probe, and shovel (can be rented out at TRANSA)
- Winter hiking or mountaineering boots
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof over-trousers
- Down jacket
- Quick-dry t-shirt
- Hiking trousers
- Warm hat
- Warm gloves
- Backpack waterproof cover and a waterproof bag to keep your personal items dry
- Lightweight towel
- Head torch and spare batteries
- Sleeping bag liner (blankets are provided)
- Simple first aid kit (plasters, pain killers, wound disinfectant…)
- Packed lunches
You have the possibility to rent snowshoes and poles for an additional CHF 20.
You can also rent out the avalanche set (transceiver, shovel, and probe) at TRANSA in Zurich, Bern, or Luzern for an additional CHF50: https://www.transa.ch/services/mieten-testen/miete-winter/
How to get there?
If you are traveling from Zurich by public transport, we recommend you to take the following transportation.
- Zurich HB 08:02 – 10:11 Bulle (via Bern)
- Bulle 16:19 – 18:28 Zurich HB (via Bern) – depending on what time we finish.
The price of the event is CHF 260.
What does the price include?
- 2 days of guided snowshoeing (at the foot of Gastlosen) with a certified instructor
- Transfers between Bulle and Abländschen
- 1 night of accommodation in a beautiful mountain hut, exclusively for our group
- Dinner on Saturday
- Breakfast on Sunday
What does the price NOT include?
- Transport to/from Bulle
- Packed lunches
Once registered, please pay a 50% deposit within 7 days. The balance is due by date one month before the event start.
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.
- Mountain Brook 4-day Trekking Experience in Lauterbrunnen Valley
- 15 - 18 Jun 2023
- 10:00 am - 5:00 pm