Introduction to Outdoor Climbing Day
You want to try a new summer outdoor activity? Why not outdoor rock climbing? Join us for a beginner’s outdoor rock climbing day near Zurich!
During this course, you will learn the fundamentals about outdoor rock climbing: equipment, safety & communication, hand-foot climbing techniques, understanding guidebooks, and more. You will practice in a group setting on single pitch routes to maximize learning, fun, and safety.
This event is led by Tim Dunham, climbing instructor.
What’s the plan?
Meet your guide at Ibergeregg, Passhöhe at 09:30. After hiking to the crag, you will learn to understand the equipment, fundamentals of outdoor climbing, and safety rules. During the second half of the day, you will be able to put theory into practice and rock climb.
If you have also joined the introduction to outdoor climbing on 29 July, you will be able to climb all day without going through the introduction in the morning, and will learn new skills in the afternoon.
Great if you’ve done some bouldering or rock climbing before, but it’s not a must! “Complete beginner”-friendly.
It is the participant’s responsibility to get health and accident insurances that cover mountain rescue, including extreme sports. Becoming a Rega patron is highly recommended (CHF 40 per year only for emergency medical assistance from the air).
How to get there
If you are traveling from Zurich by public transport, we recommend you take the following:
- Zurich HB 07:43 – 09:22 Ibergeregg, Passhöhe
- Schwyz 17:24 – 18:55 Zurich HB – depending on the time the event finishes
If you are traveling by car, you can park at Ibergeregg, Passhöhe directly.
Day Clothing Essentials
- Hiking or approach shoes
- Climbing trousers (or leggings)
- Down jacket
- Waterproof jacket
- Sun hat
- Warm hat
Most of it can be rented out – see Equipment rental section below
- Climbing shoes
- Climbing harness
- Climbing helmet
- 3x locking carabiners
- Belay device
- Chalk bag
If you have the following items, we encourage you to bring them so that you can train with your own equipment
- Climbing tape
- Climbing rope
- 12x quick draws
- 2x slings
- Belay glasses
- Water (min. 2L)
- Packed lunch
- Sunscreen and lip protector
- Plasters and basic medicine
You have the possibility to rent the following equipment directly from the guide:
- Climbing harness: CHF 10 (or CHF 15 for the entire weekend if you join Saturday’s course)
- Climbing helmet: CHF 10 (or CHF 15 for the entire weekend)
- Belay device: CHF 10 (or CHF 15 for the entire weekend)
- 3x Carabiners: CHF 10 (or CHF 15 for the entire weekend)
- All the above listed items: CHF 30 (or CHF 50 for the entire weekend)
The price for this event is CHF 150, or CHF 280 for the entire weekend if you join Saturday’s course.
Included in price
- 1 day of outdoor rock climbing with a certified climbing instructor, in a small group
- Climbing guidebooks of the area
- Climbing ropes
Not included in price
- Transport to/from Ibergeregg, Passhöhe
- Climbing equipment
- Packed lunches
- Drinks & snacks
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.