Guided Snowshoeing Weekend to Spitzmeilen with Night in a Hut
Easy snowshoeing weekend with a night in one of the cutest huts of the region, Alp Fursch, with its stunning views, lovely hosts and post-dinner drinks in the hot tub under the stars!
Only an hour away from Zurich and already in the heart of the St Galler Prealps, with the Churfirsten in the background on one side and the Glarner Alps on the other side.
This trip is led by Louise Chandler, mountain leader.
What’s the plan?
Meet Louise at Flumserberg, Tannenheim at 12:15. Ideally, you have already had lunch. Cable car from Tannenheim to Prodalp where the hike starts. This hike is a gentle uphill hike over 6 km, through a beautiful spruce forest with amazing views of the Churfirsten mountains, and then of the Spitzmeilen in the background, which is your Sunday destination. On Saturday, the avalanche equipment is not needed, therefore you will have the briefing and training once you arrive at the hut. After a nice dinner served by your lovely hosts Tina, Ivo and Silvan, you will be able to enjoy the hot tub under the stars before going to bed!
Technical info: 2.5h walking – 300m ascent – 50m descent
Early start after an energising breakfast at the hut. This hike will take you towards Spitzmeilen, the famous summit of the area. The climb to the summit is too technical, so we will stay below, but the views and the hike in the cirque to get there is well worth the uphill! Before going down, you might stop for a coffee and a pastry at Spitzmeilenhütte. After hiking back to Prodalp, there are three ways to head back to Tannenheim: take the cable car back down or rent a sled and slide down the 3km sled run!
Technical info: 5.5h walking – 600m ascent – 850m descent
No previous snowshoeing experience is needed to join this event. The hike itself is easy but requires a good fitness level.
It is the participant’s responsibility to get health and accident insurances that cover mountain rescue, including extreme sports. Becoming a Rega patron is highly recommended (CHF 40 per year only for emergency medical assistance from the air).
How to get there
If you are traveling from Zurich by public transport, we recommend you take the following:
- Saturday: Zurich HB 10:38 – 12:15 Flumserberg, Tannenheim (via Sargans)
- Sunday: Flumserberg, Tannenheim 15:38 – 17:22 Zurich HB (via Sargans) – depending on the time the event finishes
If you are traveling by car, you can park overnight at the outside car park in Flumserberg, Tannenheim.
Day clothing essentials
- Winter hiking boots
- Base layers
- Hiking or skiing trousers
- Down jacket
- Waterproof jacket
- Sun hat
- Warm hat
- Thin gloves
- Thick gloves
- Sleeping bag liner
- Swimsuit and towel for the hot tub
- Headlamp with spare batteries
- Ear plugs
- Hiking backpack (30-40L)
- Waterproof backpack cover
- Waterproof inner bags or bin bags
- Snowshoes and poles: can be rented out – see “Equipment rental”
- Avalanche set: transceiver, probe and shovel: can be rented out – see “Equipment rental”
- Thermal bottle for tea
- Packed lunches for 2 days
- Sunscreen and lip protector
- Plasters and basic medicine
You have the possibility to rent the following equipment, directly from the guide:
- Snowshoes and poles: CHF 30
- Avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe: CHF 50
You will receive an email with a form to fill in a few days before the event, where you can inform us about which items you’d like to rent. These can be paid by cash or Twint on the event day.
The price for this event is CHF 300.
Included in price
- 2 days of guided snowshoeing with a mountain leader, in a small group
- Basic avalanche training to make sure everyone knows how to use the equipment
- 1 night of accommodation at Alp Fursch (dorm)
- Access to the hot tub under the stars on Saturday evening
- Dinner on Saturday
- Breakfast on Sunday
Not included in price
- Transport to/from Flumserberg Tannenheim
- Cable cars and/or sled rental
- Packed lunches
- Drinks & snacks
- Equipment rental
Min. 5 / Max. 8 participants
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.