Guided Snowshoeing Weekend to Grand Saint-Bernard
Wrap up the year with a stunning 2-day snowshoeing hike between France and Italy, discovering the beautiful Grand Saint-Bernard.
This trip is led by one of our Touring Monkeys International Mountain Leaders, Julien Temple.
What’s the plan?
Meeting at Martigny at 09:00 (train from Zurich HB arriving at 08:476). From there we will drive to the starting point of the hike, just above the charming village of Bourg Saint-Bernard (we will give you a lift or organize a shuttle). Hike up to the famous Hospice du Grand Saint-Bernard with a picnic break in the snow. Arrive at the Hospice in the afternoon, where we will spend the evening, have a nice dinner, and stay overnight.
After breakfast, we will hike up to one of the summits surrounding us. The beautiful trail to the summit offers panoramic views of the mountain massifs around us. From there we will slowly make our way back down to Bourg Saint Bernard and drive back to Martigny.
To join the Grand Saint-Bernard snowshoeing event, you need to be a fit hiker. No previous snowshoeing experience needed.
Kit list (Grand Saint-Bernard snowshoeing weekend)
- Snowshoes and trekking poles (can be rented out)
- Avalanche transceiver, probe, and shovel (can be rented out
- Winter hiking or mountaineering boots
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof over-trousers
- Down jacket
- Quick-dry t-shirt
- Hiking trousers
- Sun hat
- Warm hat
- Backpack waterproof cover and a waterproof bag to keep your personal items dry
- Head torch and spare batteries
- Sleeping bag liner
- Sleeping bag (no blankets provided because of coronavirus)
- Flip flops or slippers for the hut
- Face mask
- Simple first aid kit (plasters, pain killers, wound disinfectant…)
- Packed lunches
- Cash for drinks in hut
You have the possibility to rent snowshoes and poles for an additional CHF 20.
You can also rent out the avalanche set (transceiver, shovel, and probe) at TRANSA in Zurich, Bern or Luzern for an additional CHF50:
How to get there?
We will meet at Martigny train station at 09:00 on Saturday, and drive together to the starting point of the hike. We will either organize a shuttle or give you a lift – this is included in the price.
- Zurich HB 06:02 – 08:47 Martigny (via Visp)
- Martigny 17:10 – 19:58 Zurich HB (via Visp) – depending on our return time.
The price of the event is CHF 250.
What does the price include?
- 2 days of snowshoeing with a certified instructor
- Shuttle from Martigny to Bourg Saint Bernard and back
- 1 night of accommodation, including dinner, bed in a dorm, and breakfast
What does the price NOT include?
- Transport to and from Martigny
- Packed lunches
Once registered, please pay a 50% deposit within 7 days. The balance is due by 19 November 2020.
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood, and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.
- Introduction to Outdoor Climbing Series – 2/3 – Lead Climbing
- 03 Jun 2023
- 8:45 am - 5:30 pm