Day Hike & Navigation Course by the Mythen
With today’s technology, it has become so easy to spend time in the mountains without any navigation skills. All the apps and modern tools that now exist are amazing and it would be a shame not to use them, however, it’s also really important to be able to be in the mountains without them.
During this day hike by the famous Mythen, the focus will be on learning or getting a refresher about how to use basic navigation tools: map, compass, features around us…
What’s the plan?
We will meet at 09.00 at Brunni SZ, Rest. Brunni bus stop. The focus of the day will be to improve your navigation skills. We will alternate hiking times and navigation exercises.
Stage 1: Introduction of the navigation tools
Learn to read the map with its main features and legend, plan our itinerary, understand the compass.
Stage 2: Where am I?
Locate yourself on the map using features around you.
Stage 3: What is around me?
Knowing where you are on the map, identify the summits and other features around you using your map and compass. Learn to read your surrounding landscape.
Stage 4: Find your way without visibility
Using our compass and azimuth bearings, we will play some games to practice having to move on terrain without any visibility (snow, fog…).
– T3 hike
– 630m ascent/ 630m descent
How to get there?
If you are traveling by public transport, we recommend you to take the following:
– Zürich HB 07:43 – 08:52 Brunni SZ, Rest. Brunni (via Wädenswil and Einsiedeln)
– Brunni SZ, Rest. Brunni 16:31 – 17:48 Zürich HB (via Einsiedeln and Wädenswil) – depending on what time we finish
– Hiking boots
– Pen, pencil and/or highlighter
– Small backpack with waterproof cover
– Quick-dry t-shirt
– Down jacket
– Waterproof jacket
– Hiking trousers
– Waterproof over trousers
– Warm hat
– Packed lunch
Nice to have:
– Hiking poles
– Sunscreen and lip protector
– Compass if you have your own
– Thermal bottle with tea
The price for this event is CHF 75.
Included in price
– Tea/coffee and croissant at arrival
– Day hike with a mountain leader
– Navigation course
– Printed A3 map of the area + compass
Not included in price
– Transport to/from Brunni
– Packed lunch
Minimum number of participants: 3
Maximum number of participants: 8
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood, and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.
- Introduction to Outdoor Climbing Series – 2/3 – Lead Climbing
- 03 Jun 2023
- 8:45 am - 5:30 pm