Introduction to Classic Cross-country Skiing in the Jura
The closing of many ski lifts due to Covid made other winter sports very popular, including cross-country skiing! If you want to give this activity a try, discover the wild and stunning Vallée de Joux and Col du Marchairuz in the Jura, and enjoy an overnight with a fun group of people in a charming mountain hotel, this event is definitely for you!
The cross-country skiing paradise in the area of the Swiss-French border is among the most extensive ones in Central Europe.
This trip is led by one of our Touring Monkeys International Mountain Leaders, Edouard Gaudefroy.
What’s the plan?
We will meet our guide at Le Brassus at 10:30 on Saturday. Shuttle to Col du Marchairuz, where we will check the equipment, get ready, and start the introduction course in the beautiful and unspoiled area around the famous mountain pass. We will have a picnic for lunch and keep skiing in the afternoon. Return to Col du Marchairuz at the end of the day, where we will enjoy the evening at Hotel du Marchairuz. Dinner and night at the hotel.
After a nice breakfast at the hotel, we will put the skis on and go out for another long tour, with a different itinerary. We will ski through the forest and through more open areas, and if the weather permits we will get some gorgeous views of Lake Geneva and the Alps in the background. After another long day out, we will make our way back to the hotel and get a shuttle back to Le Brassus, where we can catch the train.
On both days, you will have the possibility to leave some of your items at the hotel or in the vehicles.
Requirements (Cross-country Skiing)
To join this event, you need to have a good fitness level. No previous cross-country skiing experience needed.
- Cross-country skis, boots, and poles (can be rented out for an additional CHF 25)
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof over-trousers or gaiters
- Down jacket
- Quick-dry t-shirt
- Hiking trousers
- Warm hat
- Warm gloves
- Backpack waterproof cover and a waterproof bag to keep your personal items dry
- Simple first aid kit (plasters, pain killers, wound disinfectant…)
- Packed lunches
You have the possibility to rent skis, ski boots, and poles for an additional CHF 25. You just need to give me your shoe size and the guide will bring all the needed equipment.
How to get there?
If you are traveling from Zurich by public transport, we recommend you to take the following transportation.
- Zurich HB 06:30 – 10:22 Le Brassus (via Lausanne and Le Day)
- Le Brassus 15:36 – 18:56 Zurich HB (via Le Day, Cossonay-Penthalaz and Yverdon-les-Bains) – depending on what time we finish.
If anyone is traveling from Zurich and is interested in joining me in my car to share the costs, it will be on a first-come, first-served basis. CHF 30-50 for the return trip, depending on how many people join.
The price of the event is CHF 375.
What does the price include?
- 2 days of guided cross-country skiing with a certified instructor
- A shuttle from Le Brassus to Col du Marchairuz and back
- 1 night of accommodation in a dorm (exclusively for our group), at Hotel du Marchairuz
- Dinner on Saturday
- Breakfast on Sunday
What does the price NOT include?
- Transport to and from Le Brassus
- Skiing equipment (skis, boots, poles) – can be rented out for an additional CHF 25
- Packed lunches
Once registered, please pay a 50% deposit within 7 days. The balance is due by 6 January 2021.
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood, and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.
- Introduction to Outdoor Climbing Series – 2/3 – Lead Climbing
- 03 Jun 2023
- 8:45 am - 5:30 pm