In order to enjoy the mountains safely all year round, reading the terrain you’re playing on and understanding the avalanche danger is a must. With all winter sports that take you outside of the secured slopes and paths (snowshoeing, off-piste skiing, ski touring, etc.), one has to not only understand and prevent the danger, but also be equipped and ready to respond in case of an accident. Under the instruction of a mountain leader, you will learn the basics of avalanches and how to properly use a transceiver, probe and shovel.
What’s the plan?
Meet at Flumserberg, Tannenheim at 10:15. We take the cable car to Prodalp and start with some theory at Prodalp Bergrestaurant. After approx. 2 hours of theory and a picnic or lunch at the restaurant (up to you), we head out and use the terrain to do various exercises in the snow.
At the end of the day, you will be able to:
- Read, understand and make use of the avalanche bulletin
- Understand the 3-by-3 method to plan your snowshoe or ski tours safely
- Measure the slope inclination on the terrain
- Identify the different avalanche types
- Run group checks to make sure all transceivers in the group are up and running
- Rescue avalanche victims using your transceiver, probe and shovel
Avalanche knowledge is not something you learn in one day, it requires a lot of practice. During this basic course, you will be given the tools needed to keep learning and practicing the skills acquired.
How to get there
If you are traveling from Zurich by public transport, we recommend you to take the following:
- Zurich HB 08:38 – 10:15 Flumserberg, Tannenheim (via Sargans)
- Flumserberg, Tannenheim 16:38 – 18:20 Zurich HB (via Sargans)
- Winter hiking boots
- Base layers
- Hiking or skiing trousers
- Down jacket
- Waterproof jacket
- Warm hat
- Thin gloves
- Thick gloves
- Hiking backpack (20-30L)
- Waterproof inner bags or bin bags
- Snowshoes, touring skis or split board: snowshoes can be rented out – see “Equipment rental”
- Avalanche transceiver, probe & shovel: can be rented out – see “Equipment rental”
- Sunscreen & lip protector
- Plasters & basic medicine
You have the possibility to rent the following:
- Snowshoes & poles: CHF 15
- Transceiver, probe & shovel: CHF 25
You will receive an email with a form to fill in a few days before the event, where you can inform us about which items you’d like to rent. These can be paid by cash or Twint on the event day.
The price for this event is CHF 100.
Included in price
- Avalanche safety course with a mountain leader
- Hot drink in the morning
Not included in price
- Transport to/from Flumserberg, Tannenheim
- Cable car to Prodalp (return trip CHF 8.50 with 1/2 fare travel card or GA, CHF 17 without)
- Equipment rental
- Min. 3 participants
- Max. 8 participants
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.