3-day Mountaineering Course – Rock & Snow
This 3-day mountaineering course is the gateway to the world of mountaineering. It guarantees you a gradual introduction to this activity within the exceptional setting of the Diablerets Massif in the canton of Vaud.
Three days to enjoy the unique atmosphere of the high mountains and their glaciers, learn the basic mountaineering techniques, and develop your skills as an alpine climber.
Here are the objectives of this course:
- Discover the high mountain environment
- Practice moving on rock and snow routes
- Learn to use the rope: basic knots, roping, belaying, abseiling, crevasse rescue
- Master your use of mountaineering equipment: crampons, ice axe
This mountaineering course is led by Olivier Amiguet, International Mountain Guide.
What’s the plan?
Saturday – Rock
Meet your guide Olivier at Col-du-Pillon at 10:10. Together you will take the cable car to Cabane des Diablerets, where you will spend the next two nights. Once we’ve dropped our gear at the hut, we will spend the day working around the theme “rock”.
- Learning/reviewing elementary knots
- Top rope belaying
- Lead belaying
- Belay transition
- Anchor point building
- Basic climbing technique
- Working with a short rope
- Equipment review
- Map reading
Sunday – Snow
On day 2, you will learn the basics around the theme “snow”, the second important part of mountaineering.
- Using crampons, ice axe, and poles
- Walking with crampons
- Roping and securing partners
- Ice axe arrests
- Crevasse rescue and hauling
- Navigation (with map and compass)
- Map reading
- Weather forecast
- Preparation of the route for day 3
On day 3, you will put all the things you’ve learned into practice and climb the Sommet des Diablerets at 3210m, on your own rope and with the supervision of your guide.
It would be great if you had done some easy mountaineering tours or some climbing before, but this is not a must.
Must have (per participant):
- Crampon compatible mountaineering boots
- Ice axe
- 3x locking carabiners
- 1x belay device
- 1x cordelette for Prusik
- 1x 60cm sling
- 1x 120cm sling
- Glacier glasses
- Warm hat
- Warm gloves
- Sun hat
- Fleece jacket
- Duvet jacket
- Goretex jacket
- Waterproof trekking trousers
- Head torch and spare batteries
- Sunscreen and lip protection
- Sleeping bag liner (blankets provided)
- Packed lunch for Saturday (+ for Sunday and Monday if you don’t want to buy the lunch from the hut)
Must have (per group of 2 participants):
- 1x 6mm wide 5m long cordelette
- 1x cordelette for Prusik
- 10x quickdraws
- 1x ice screw
- 1x compass
- 1x map of the area – Les Diablerets 1:25000 (https://bit.ly/2TisgDs)
Nice to have:
- Hiking poles
- Climbing shoes
- Cash for drinks at the hut
How to get there?
If you are traveling from Zurich by public transport, we recommend you to take the following transportation.
- Zurich HB 06:32 – 10:09 Col-du-Pillon (téléphérique)
Sunday or Monday
- 17:41 Col-du-Pillon (téléphérique) – 21:28 Zurich HB (depending on what time we finish)
The price for this mountaineering course is CHF 750.
If you want to take part in the first 2 days and leave on Sunday evening, the price is CHF 520.
What does the price include?
- 3 days of mountaineering with an International Mountain Guide
- 2 nights of accommodation at Cabane des Diablerets
- Dinner on Saturday and Sunday
- Breakfast and Marschtee on Sunday and Monday
What does the price NOT include?
- Transport to/from Col-du-Pillon
- Cable car from Col-du-Pillon to Cabane des Diablerets (single trip CHF 16 with 1/2 travel card or GA)
- Packed lunches (possibility to buy your packed lunch from the hut on Sunday and Monday)
Once registered, please pay the balance within 7 days.
Minimum number of participants: 4
Maximum number of participants: 6
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood, and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.
- Mountain Brook 4-day Trekking Experience in Lauterbrunnen Valley
- 15 - 18 Jun 2023
- 10:00 am - 5:00 pm