Outdoor Climbing Course 2/3 – Lead Sport Climbing, Belaying, and Anchors
Step outside this Summer and sign up for our 3 series of Outdoor Rock Climbing Course.
- Outdoor Climbing Course 1 – Introduction to Rock Climbing
- Outdoor Climbing Course 2 – Lead Sport Climbing, Belaying, and Anchors
- Outdoor Climbing Course 3 – Alpine Rock Climbing
You will learn new skills, discover beautiful climbing spots, and find the joy in outdoor climbing. These courses are aimed at you becoming a more confident climber.
Trips are led by one of our Touring Monkeys Climbing Instructor and International Mountain Leader, Tim Dunham.
Course 2 – Lead Sport Climbing, Belaying, and Anchors
Contents of the course
Learn how to sport climb on real rock and the skills needed to keep you safe:
- lead climbing & belaying
- rope management
- clipping an express
- setting & clearing anchors
This outdoor climbing course will create a great foundation for your confidence as a climber & future climbing trips.
Maximum number of participants: 6
This event will take place on two different weekends:
- 8 & 9 August https://www.meetup.com/TouringMonkeys/events/270381435/
- 22 & 23 August https://www.meetup.com/TouringMonkeys/events/270926715/
Participation in Course 1 – Introduction to Outdoor Rock Climbing, or previous experience with indoor or outdoor lead climbing.
- Packed lunch for Saturday and Sunday
- Climbing shoes
- Climbing helmet
- Harness and belay device (can be rented out for an additional CHF 20)
- Chalk bag if you have one
- Sleeping bag liner (blankets are provided)
What’s the plan?
Tim will meet the group in front of the Schwyz train station at 10:15. We will travel with the PostBus to Ibergeregg departing at 10:23 from Schwyz. There, we will refresh the skills learned in course 1 and learn the fundamentals of lead climbing.
At the end of the day, we will settle into a lovely Berghaus where we will enjoy the evening with a nice dinner and a glass of wine. We will stay overnight and have breakfast there in the morning.
On Sunday, we will return to explore the same area and practice the skills we learned on Saturday and Sport Climb! After a second full day of outdoor climbing, you will take the bus and train back home.
How to get to Ibergeregg?
If you are travelling from Zurich, we recommend you to take the following trains:
Zurich HB 09:10 – 10:16 Schwyz (via Arth-Goldau), then PostAuto B5 from Schwyz towards Oberiberg, Neuseewen, departure at 10:23, and get off in Ibergeregg
PostAuto B5 to Schwyz (last departure from Ibergeregg, Passhöhe at 17:30), then Schwyz 18:17 – 19:25 Zurich HB (via Rotkreuz)
Price for one weekend: CHF 400
Package price for all 3 weekends: CHF 1,000
Once registered, please make the payment of the 50% deposit (CHF200) within 7 days via bank transfer (we will send you our account details). The balance payment is due by 8 July 2020.
What does the price include?
- Accommodation on Saturday night, including 3-course menu dinner, bed in a dorm and breakfast
- 2 full days of outdoor climbing in a small group with a dedicated climbing instructor
- Climbing equipment: ropes, quickdraws, slings and carabiners.
What does the price NOT include?
- Transport to and from Ibergeregg
- Packed lunches
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read our terms and conditions in the “What we’re about” section of our Meetup group and that you will adhere to these terms and conditions.
Outdoor trips and activities are subject to current weather conditions and the initial plan could change the last minute. Your flexibility and understanding enable us to still run trips safely. This could be the case if it’s raining and we’re not able to climb outdoors; we will have alternative plans for the group.