Outdoor Climbing Course 1/3 – Introduction to Rock Climbing
Step outside this Summer and sign up for our 3 series of Mountain Climbing Course.
- Outdoor Climbing Course 1 – Introduction to Rock Climbing
- Outdoor Climbing Course 2 – Lead Sport Climbing, Belaying, and Anchors
- Outdoor Climbing Course 3 – Alpine Rock Climbing
You will learn new skills, discover beautiful climbing spots, and find the joy in outdoor climbing. These courses are aimed at you becoming a more confident climber.
Trips are led by one of our Touring Monkeys Climbing Instructor and International Mountain Leader, Tim Dunham.
Course 1 – Introduction to Rock Climbing
Contents of the course
In this course, you will learn the fundamentals of outdoor climbing:
- safety & communication
- hand-foot climbing techniques
- understanding guidebooks, and more.
You will practice in a group setting on single pitch routes to maximize learning, fun, and safety.
This introduction course is perfect to begin your outdoor climbing career.
Minimum number of participants: 2
Maximum number of participants: 6
This event will take place on two different weekends:
- June 13 & 14 https://www.meetup.com/TouringMonkeys/events/270826427/
- July 11 & 12 https://www.meetup.com/TouringMonkeys/events/270381036/
Requirements for rock climbing
Some previous climbing experience is recommended. However, if you are fit and keen to try outdoor climbing but have never climbed before, we are happy for you to join us.
- Packed lunch for Saturday and Sunday
- Climbing shoes
- Climbing helmet
- Harness and belay device (can be rented out for an additional CHF 20)
- Chalk bag if you have one
- Sleeping bag liner (blankets are provided)
What’s the plan?
Tim will meet the group in front of the Schwyz train station at 09:45 on Saturday and we will walk together to Chämiloch Klettergarten. The first half of the day will be dedicated to understanding the equipment, fundamentals of outdoor climbing, and safety rules. During the second half of the day, you will be able to put theory into practice and rock climb.
At the end of the day, we will drive to a lovely Berghaus where we will enjoy the evening with a glass of wine and a nice dinner and spend the night.
After breakfast on Sunday, we will return to the crag and practise the skills we learned on Saturday. After a second full day of climbing, we will walk back to Schwyz train station and return home.
How to get there?
If you are travelling from Zurich, we recommend you to take the following trains:
– Saturday: Zurich HB 08:35 – 09:36 Schwyz (via Rotkreuz)
– Sunday: Arth-Goldau 17:58 – 18:50 Zurich HB (depending on when we finish climbing)
Price for one weekend: CHF 400
Package price for all 3 weekends: CHF 1,000
Once registered, please make the payment of the 50% deposit (CHF200) within 7 days via bank transfer (we will send you our account details). The balance payment is due by 11 June 2020.
What does the price include?
- Transfers between the crag and Berghaus
- Accommodation on Saturday night, including dinner, bed in a dorm and breakfast
- 2 full days of climbing in a small group with a dedicated climbing instructor
- Climbing equipment: ropes, quickdraws, carabiners, etc.
What does the price NOT include?
- Transport to and from Schwyz train station
- Packed lunches
Next Rock Climbing Courses in Switzerland
Many thanks and looking forward to climbing with you!
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read our terms and conditions in the “What we’re about” section of our Meetup group and that you will adhere to these terms and conditions.
Outdoor trips and activities are subject to current weather conditions and the initial plan could change last minute. Your flexibility and understanding enables us to still run trips safely. This could be the case if it’s raining and we’re not able to climb outdoors; we will have alternative plans for the group.