Introduction to Ice Climbing in the Italian Aosta Valley
Frozen waterfalls in the Aosta Valley offer some of the best ice climbing spots in the world! Cogne has all grades of ice falls, in a stunning and wild environment!
After long days out in the ice, you will be happy to go back to the nice and comfortable Spa Hotel, where you can relax in the different saunas and baths, before enjoying a good I2talian dinner.
The trip is led by one of our Touring Monkeys International Mountain Guides, Eliot Hennion.
What’s the plan?
We will meet at Zurich HB at 10am on Friday and drive to Cogne, Italy. We will have some time to explore the area or just to enjoy the Spa of our hotel. Dinner and night at Hotel du Grand Paradis.
After breakfast, we will meet our International Mountain Guide, go through the equipment together and start our introductory ice climbing course, at one of the many ice falls near Cogne. You will learn the basics and essentials of ice climbing. After a long and exhausting day in the cold, we will get back to the hotel for a well-deserved spa, followed by a nice Italian dinner. Night at Hotel du Grand Paradis.
After breakfast, you will practice the ice climbing skills introduced to you on day 2, and learn new ones. If some prefer to do another activity, we can go snowshoeing for the day. We will decide together! At the end of the day, we will drive back to Zurich.
To join this event, you do not need any previous ice climbing experience. However, you need to have some basic knowledge in climbing and rope handling.
- Belay device
- Locking carabiner
- Insulated ice climbing / mountaineering boots
- 2 Ice climbing axes
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof over-trousers
- Down jacket
- Merino wool top
- Climbing trousers
- Warm hat
- Warm gloves
- Sun screen
- Simple first aid kit (plasters, pain killers, wound disinfectant…)
- Packed lunches
You have the possibility to rent the following items:
- Climbing gear (harness, helmet, carabiner, belay device): CHF 30 per day
- Possibility to rent ice climbing equipment at Ezio Sport in Cogne.
How to get there?
Meet us at Zurich HB at 10am on Friday 12 February 2021. We will drive to Cogne together in a van. Return trip on Sunday evening.
The price of the event is CHF 700.
What does the price include?
- Return trip from Zurich HB to Cogne
- Transfers to the ice falls during the weekend
- 2 days of ice climbing course with a qualified International Mountain Guide
- Ice climbing equipment, including rope and ice screws
- 2 nights with half pension (dinner, bed and breakfast) at Hotel du Grand Paradis, in twin rooms
- Free access to the hotel spa for the duration of the stay (open from 4pm to 8pm): hot tub with massage jets, Finnish sauna, Turkish bath, Scottish shower, chromatherapy shower, and mezzanine with sun loungers, relaxation area and tea area
What does the price NOT include?
- Climbing and ice climbing gear (see kit list)
Once registered, please pay a 50% deposit within 7 days. The balance is due by 12 January 2021.
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.