Introduction to Ice Climbing in Kandersteg
Frozen waterfalls in the Kandertal offer some of the best ice climbing spots in Switzerland! Kandersteg has all grades of ice falls, in a stunning and wild environment!
After long days out on the ice, you will be happy to go back to the nice and comfortable Victoria Hotel, where you can relax in the sauna, before enjoying a good dinner.
The trip is led by two of our Touring Monkeys International Mountain Guides, Eliot Hennion, and Jeremy Fino.
What’s the plan?
You will meet your International Mountain Guide in Kandersteg at 09:30. After going through the equipment together, you will start your introductory ice climbing course, at one of the many ice falls near Kandersteg. You will learn the basics and essentials of ice climbing. After a long and exhausting day in the cold, we will get back to the hotel for a well-deserved spa, followed by a nice dinner. Night at Belle Epoque Hotel Victoria.
After breakfast, you will practice the ice climbing skills introduced to you on day 2, and learn new ones. If some prefer to do another activity, Eliot can take you snowshoeing for the day, maybe to go see the famous and stunning Oeschinensee. You will decide together with the guide!
Requirements (Ice climbing)
To join this event, you do not need any previous ice climbing experience. However, you need to have some basic knowledge in climbing and rope handling.
- Climbing gear: helmet, harness, belay device, and carabiner (can be rented out directly from the guide for an additional CHF 30)
- Crampons (can be rented out from any Ruedi Bergsport or Bächli Bergshop – need to be rented out before the event as there is no rental shop in Kandersteg)
- 2 Ice climbing axes (can be rented out from any Ruedi Bergsport or Bächli Bergshop – need to be rented out before the event as there is no rental shop in Kandersteg)
- Insulated ice climbing/mountaineering boots
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof over-trousers
- Down jacket
- Merino wool top
- Climbing trousers
- Warm hat
- Warm gloves
- Simple first aid kit (plasters, pain killers, wound disinfectant…)
- Packed lunches
You have the possibility to rent the climbing gear (harness, helmet, carabiner, belay device): CHF 30.
If you need to rent ice axes and crampons, please contact your local Ruedi Bergsport or Bächli Bergshop as there is no rental shop in Kandersteg.
How to get there?
If you are traveling from Zurich by public transport, we recommend you to take the following transportation.
- Zurich HB 07:06 – 09:30 Kandersteg (via Bern)
- Kandersteg 16:15 – 18:28 Zurich HB (via Bern) – depending on what time you finish
The price of the event is CHF 550.
What does the price include?
- 2 days of ice climbing course with a qualified International Mountain Guide
- Transfers to the ice falls during the weekend
- Ice climbing equipment, including rope and ice screws
- 1 night with half pension (dinner, bed, and breakfast) at Belle Epoque Hotel Victoria, in twin rooms
What does the price NOT include?
- Transport to Kandersteg
- Cable car (we might need to take the cable car from Kandersteg to Sunnbuel on one or both days)
Once registered, please pay a 50% deposit within 7 days. The balance is due by 20 January 2021.
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood, and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.