Guided Weekend Hike in Ticino from Val Bavona to Val Bedretto
This hike in Ticino links San Carlo in Val Bavona to Airolo in Val Bedretto. Between them lie steep mountain slopes, crystalline rock, Alpine lakes/reservoirs, idyllic alps, and remote hamlets.
This trip is led by Otto van Andel, International Mountain Leader.
Day 1: San Carlo – Capanna Cristallina
You will meet Otto in San Carlo at 10:40 to start the hike with a steep ascent. We can take a break at the charming Capanna Basodino before carrying on to Capanna Cristallina at 2572m above sea level. The hut faces the glistening ice masses of the Basodino and much crystalline rock is found in its vicinity. Evening and night at Capanna Cristallina.
Technical information: 12km, 1700m ascent
Day 2: Capanna Cristallina – Airolo
A long descent to go back down to the valley in Airolo, but worth the effort! From the stony mountain slopes, across beautiful alps with typical twin water troughs, to finally reach the Val Bedretto-Höhenweg. The high moorland ablaze with dazzling colour and views of the Gotthard massif is phenomenal.
Technical information: 17km, 260m ascent, 1600m descent
T3 hike. To join this hike in Ticino, you need to be a fit hiker and able to hike all day with up to 1700m of elevation gain.
- 30-40L backpack
- Waterproof backpack cover and waterproof inner bag
- Hiking boots
- Hiking poles
- Waterproof jacket and over trousers
- Down jacket
- Hiking trousers
- Quick-dry t-shirt
- Warm hat
- Sun hat
- Sun screen and lip protection
- Sleeping bag liner
- Lightweight towel
- Personal first aid kit (plasters, pain killers, etc…)
- Cash to buy drinks at the huts
- Water (minimum 2L)
- Packed lunches
- Face mask and hand sanitiser
How to get there?
If you are traveling from Zurich by public transport, we recommend you to take the following transportation.
- Zurich HB 06:40 – 10:40 San Carlo
- Airolo 16:58 – 18:55 Zurich HB – depending on what time we finish
The price for this event is CHF 300.
What does the price include?
- 2 days guided hike in Ticino (Val Bavona to Val Bedretto) with a certified International Mountain Leader
- 1 night of accommodation in a mountain hut
- 3-course dinner on Saturday
- Breakfast on Sunday
What does the price NOT include?
- Transport to San Carlo on Friday and back from Airolo on Sunday
- Hot shower token (CHF 5)
Once registered, please pay a 50% deposit within 7 days and the balance by 7 July 2021, one month before the event starts.
Minimum number of participants: 3
Maximum number of participants: 9
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood, and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.