Guided Snowshoeing Weekend in Val S-charl
Let’s go snowshoeing and explore the beauty of Val S-charl in the canton of Graubünden. S-charl in the Lower Engadine is probably one of the most remote places in Switzerland.
This trip is led by one of our Touring Monkeys International Mountain Leader, Otto van Andel.
What’s the plan?
No better way to start the New Year than a snowshoeing weekend in Val S-charl, right at the border of the Swiss National Park. The national park is exclusively for wild life in the winter, nobody is allowed in. But its surroundings are absolutely stunning and seem to be made for snowshoeing! We will hike in a Northern atmosphere, and if we’re lucky enough we might even see bearded vultures and golden eagles!
You will meet your guide in Scuol-Tarasp at 11:15. Taxi transfer to San Jon (1389m), hiking through the stunning Val S-charl valley all the way to S-charl (1810m). There may be little snow, so possibly we need to carry the snowshoes. Please make sure that you can fix them on your backpack. For those willing to walk more, we can leave our bags at the hotel and hike up to Alp Sesvenna and / or build an igloo. We will be staying at Gasthaus Mayor, a wooden hotel with a lot of charm. Sauna and Jacuzzi will be waiting for us. Time to relax before having a great dinner together.
Walking duration: 3 hours
(with Alp Sesvenna: 800m ascent, 300m descent, 5 hours)
Breakfast at the hotel. Then we will hike over Pass da Costainas (2251m) to Lü (1920m) through beautiful nature and the God da Tamangur forest, the highest continuous stone-pine forest in Europe. The landscape is similar to Northern Scandinavia, Canada or Siberia. You should be able to take bus back from Lü at 15:33, unless we walk all the way down to Fuldera, where you can catch the train.
Walking duration: 4 hours
To join this event, you need to be a fit hiker. No previous snowshoeing experience needed.
- Snowshoes and poles (can be rented out)
- Avalanche transceiver, probe and shovel (can be rented out)
- Winter hiking or mountaineering boots
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof over-trousers
- Down jacket
- Quick-dry t-shirt
- Hiking trousers
- Warm hat
- Warm gloves
- Backpack waterproof cover and waterproof bag to keep your personal items dry
- Lightweight towel
- Head torch and spare batteries
- Simple first aid kit (plasters, pain killers, wound disinfectant…)
- Packed lunches
You have the possibility to rent the following items:
- Snowshoes and poles: CHF30
- Avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe: CHF25
- All: CHF50
How to get there?
If you are traveling from Zurich by public transport, we recommend you take the following transportation.
- Zurich HB 08:37 – 11:15 Scuol-Tarasp (via Landquart)
- Fuldera 15:45 – 19:53 Zurich HB (via Zernez and Landquart) – depending on the time we finish the hike
The price of the event is CHF 250.
What does the price include?
- 2 days of guided snowshoeing with a certified instructor
- 1 night of accommodation in a nice hotel with a sauna
- Taxi journey from Scuol to San Jon on Saturday
- Dinner on Saturday
- Breakfast on Sunday
What does the price NOT include?
- Trip to Scuol on Saturday and from Lü on Sunday
- Packed lunches
Once registered, please pay a 50% deposit within 7 days. The balance is due by 2 December 2020.
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood, and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.