Guided Snowshoeing Weekend in Val Müstair
Let’s go snowshoeing and explore the beauty of Val Müstair in the canton of Graubünden.
This trip is led by one of our Touring Monkeys International Mountain Leader, Otto van Andel.
What’s the plan?
The Val Müstair – located at the southeastern tip of Switzerland between the Swiss National Park and South Tyrol – is one of the most beautiful alpine valleys in Switzerland. With its intact nature, mild climate, and good cuisine, it offers a great weekend for snowshoeing.
From the cozy and well-run hotel, we undertake varied tours in the Val Müstair and the Ofenpass area.
Meet your guide at 11:00 at the bus station Buffalora P10. From there we start the hike in a southerly direction through open terrain and pine and Swiss stone pine forest to Buffalora. Shortly after Buffalora we have to keep making our own track to Jufplaun, where we have stunning views of the Val Mora and the Lower Engadine Dolomites. At Mots we make our way back via the Döss dal Termel and finally come back to the starting point via another path. Bus to Hotel Central in Valchava, where we can enjoy the sauna and have a nice dinner and night.
Breakfast at the hotel. Then, from the village, we take the bus to Lü and hike towards Alp Champatsch. The hike continues over the Pass da Costainas to Tamangur Dadaint, the highest Swiss stone pine forest. We climb back up to Fuorcla Funtauna da S-charl. There we might see ibex and chamois if we’re lucky! From there it goes on to the Ofenpass. In Lü we take the bus back home or if we have time, we can walk back to Valchava.
To join this event, you need to be a fit hiker. No previous snowshoeing experience needed.
- Snowshoes and poles (can be rented out)
- Avalanche transceiver, probe and shovel (can be rented out)
- Winter hiking or mountaineering boots
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof over-trousers
- Down jacket
- Quick-dry t-shirt
- Hiking trousers
- Warm hat
- Warm gloves
- Backpack waterproof cover and waterproof bag to keep your personal items dry
- Lightweight towel
- Head torch and spare batteries
- Sleeping bag liner (blankets are provided)
- Simple first aid kit (plasters, pain killers, wound disinfectant…)
- Packed lunches
- Avalanche transceiver, probe, and shovel
You have the possibility to rent the following items:
- Snowshoes and poles: CHF30
- Avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe: CHF25
- All: CHF50
How to get there?
If you are traveling from Zurich by public transport, we recommend you take the following transportation.
- Zurich HB 08:07 – 11:00 Buffalora P10 (via Landquart and Zernez)
- Buffalora P10 16:47 – 19:53 Zurich HB (via Zernez and Landquart) – depending on the time we finish the hike
The price of the event is CHF 250.
What does the price include?
- 2 days of guided snowshoeing with a certified instructor
- 1 night of accommodation in a nice hotel with a sauna
- Dinner on Saturday
- Breakfast on Sunday
What does the price NOT include?
- Return trip to Buffalora
- Bus transfers
- Packed lunches
Once registered, please pay a 50% deposit within 7 days. The balance is due by 30 December 2020.
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood, and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.