Guided Day Hike & Navigation Skills – Haldigrat
With today’s technology, it has become so easy to spend time in the mountains without any navigation skills. All the apps and modern tools that now exist are amazing and it would be a shame not to use them, however, it’s also really important to be able to be in the mountains without them.
During this day hike, the focus will be on learning or getting a refresher about how to use basic navigation tools: map, compass, features around us…
Join by clicking on the links below:
What’s the plan?
You will meet Ludo, your guide, at 08:50 at Oberrickenbach, Talstation. Briefing and start of the hike to Haldigrat, a stunning ridge which offers you amazing views of the surrounding mountains. The focus of the day will be to improve your navigation skills. For that, the day will be split into 4 stages, alternating walking times and various activities.
- Introduction of the tools used for navigation and how to use them:
- Compass: azimuth bearing without the map
- Map: introduction of the most important elements (scale, elevation lines, colours, legend, etc.), drawing of our itinerary
- Start of the game: each participant finds an element on the 1:25000 map on our route and tries to find it during the day.
- Where am I?
- Azimuth bearing from the map to reality
- Azimuth bearing from reality to map
- Find my position on the map by aiming to a given summit with the compass and by transposing on the map
- More map reading exercises with the surrounding peaks and features
- End of the game: has everyone found the element they were looking for?
- Name some of the summits around you, with and without a compass
- Understanding of the surrounding landscape and valleys
- Calculation of the azimuths and distances necessary to follow the path and reach a given location
To join this event, you need to be a fit hiker, able to climb up to 1000m in one day.
How to get there?
The event will be accessible by public transport from Zurich. Once we define the location, we will share the recommended trains/buses.
- Ankle hiking boots
- Hiking poles
- Compass (at least 1 compass for 2 participants)
- Pen, pencil, or highlighter
- Small backpack with waterproof cover
- Quick-dry t-shirt
- Down jacket
- Waterproof jacket
- Hiking trousers
- Waterproof over trousers
- Warm hat
- Sun screen
- Water (minimum 2L)
- Thermal bottle with tea (recommended)
- Packed lunch
Pricing (Guided Hike & Navigation Skills)
The price for this event is CHF 75.
What does the price include?
- 1-day hike with a certified International Mountain Leader
- Exercises around navigation, map, and compass reading to improve your navigation skills
- Printed A3 maps of the area (1:25000 and 1:50000)
What does the price NOT include?
- Packed lunch
Once registered, please pay the balance within 7 days.
Minimum number of participants: 5
Maximum number of participants: 9
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood, and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions.