Avalanche Training Course – Level 1 & Level 2
If you’re tired of the crowds in the ski resorts and would like to start skiing off the marked paths, then this course is for you! It will help you understand the complexity of snow and the avalanche risks.
This course, divided into two parts, Level 1 and Level 2, will teach you the basics of avalanche safety, help you make decisions for your own safety, and bring you the knowledge that you need to start planning easy tours yourself.
This trip is led by one of our Touring Monkeys International Mountain Guides, Cedric Tardieu.
Details – Avalanche Training Course
20 – 21 January – Avalanche Training Course Level 1 – Safety & Avalanche (2 days)
- Prevention: how to properly prepare for your tour
- Understand the avalanche bulletin and snow situation, learn to easily read the terrain and the track
- Introduction to 3×3
- Understand the avalanche situation you’re in
- Learn how to reduce the risk
- Use of the equipment and behaviour to have during and after the avalanche
22 – 24 January – Avalanche Training Course Level 2 – Avalanche Risk Management and the Human Factor (3 days)
- Prerequisite: Level 1
- Quick knowledge review
- Deepen your 3×3 knowledge
- Become aware of the protection of the winter environment
- Plan your own tour
- Estimate and measure the gradient before and during the ride
- Learn to use of the SnowCard
- Get the right behaviour to reduce the risk
- Multi victim rescue
To join this event, you need to be a good off-piste skier.
You also need to have mountain rescue insurance that covers ski touring activities.
- Touring skis
- Ski touring boots
- Climbing skins
- Avalanche transceiver, probe, and shovel
- Backpack with a waterproof cover
- Waterproof jacket
- Down jacket
- Quick-dry t-shirt
- Ski trousers
- Warm hat
- Head torch and spare batteries
- Sun screen
- Simple first aid kit (plasters, pain killers, wound disinfectant…)
- Water & snacks
- Packed lunches
You can rent out the avalanche set (transceiver, shovel and probe) at TRANSA in Zurich, Bern or Luzern for an additional CHF50: https://www.transa.ch/services/mieten-testen/miete-winter/
How to get there?
If you are traveling from Zurich with public transport, we recommend you take the following transportation.
- Zurich HB 07:02 – 09:47 Martigny (via Visp)
- Martigny 16:16 – 19:28 Zurich HB (via Visp) – depending on the time we finish the course
The price of the event is CHF 1300.
You also have the possibility to take part in Level 1 only (20-21 January 2021) or to Level 2 only (if you have done a Level 1 course previously) (22-24 January 2021).
The price for Level 1 only is CHF 500, including 1 night of accommodation.
The price for Level 2 only is CHF 700, including 2 nights of accommodation.
What does the price include?
- 5 days of Avalanche Training Course with a qualified International Mountain Guide
- 4 nights of accommodation in a *** hotel with car park and spa
- Dinner from Wednesday to Saturday
- Buffet breakfast from Thursday to Sunday
- Transfer from Martigny to the hotel on the first day and back to Martigny on the last day, if you come by train
- Transfers to the different skiing/course locations each day
What does the price NOT include?
- Transport to Bourg-Saint-Pierre
- Drinks & snacks
- Packed lunches
Once registered, please pay a 50% deposit within 7 days. The balance is due by 20 December 2020.
By signing up for this event, you agree that you have read, understood, and will adhere to our Terms and Conditions in the “What we’re about” section of our Meetup group.